How to look after your Great Lengths Hair Extensions
Read on for the summary:
- Do not shampoo your hair for at least 48 hours after your Great Lengths service at Lily Jackson Hair & Makeup, including your initial and follow up maintenance services. The bonds need time to settle and ensures that your extensions will not slide out through premature contact with shampoo’s and conditioners.
- Some hair loss is normal – as with natural hair – so don’t panic. This is quite normal . These ends can be cut by your stylist to minimise tangling close to the bonds.
- Pull your hair back into a soft ponytail before going to bed to prevent tangling whilst you sleep. Use a satin pillowcase to allow your hair to move freely while you sleep.
- Make sure you keep your 2 week follow up appointment with Lily Jackson Hair & Makeup. We’ll check that all you hair extensions are still looking great and we’ll fix anything that needs attention.
- Think about changing your lifestyle a little if you regularly spend time in a damp environment like steam baths, saunas, or strenuous exercise which makes you perspire. Activities that result in a constant damp environment may reduce the lifespan of your Great Lengths Hair Extensions.
- Brush your hair twice a day using a Great Lengths brush which is specifically designed for Great Lengths hair extensions. Do not use hard brush strokes. Separate your applied strands using your fingers and slowly brush close to the scalp. This will avoid mating in this area. Do not use a hard bristled brush. This may cause the extension strands to slip out. Start at the nape of the neck and work your way up.
- Use a wide toothed comb to gently remove tangles from mid-strands to hair ends. Do not use a comb near the scalp area and the Great Lengths bonds.
- You can use curling irons and hot rollers on your Great Lengths Hair Extensions, but keep them at least 3cm to 4cm away from the hair bonds.
Washing Your Hair & Showering
- The best investment you can make after your Great Lengths Hair Extensions is to use the professional products we recommend that you use because they will help make your extensions last longer AND look after your own hair too. Do not use supermarket shampoo’s and conditioners or products that contain sulphur, such as dandruff shampoos.
- You should wash your hair at least once a week. Only use the professional products recommended for you by our stylist (ph 5.5).
- We highly recommend Great Lengths products (shampoos, conditioners, styling products, anti-tap water).
- Avoid protein treatments and products that contain silicone as this can breakdown the bonds.
- When you take a shower, tilt your head back and cleanse from the top of the head downward. Avoid facing your head downward. When you condition, detangle only from mid-strand to end, avoid the scalp area.
- After showering, apply the Great Lengths Anti-Tap Water remedy to restore your hair’s natural ph balance. Dry your hair by wrapping it with a microfibre headwrap or a towel to remove moisture. Always dry the scalp area thoroughly by using a pressing motion (rather than rubbing) to avoid bond breakdown.
- Use a medium to low heat on your blowdryer and finish with a cool shot once the hair is completely dry.
- Activities that result in a constant damp environment, especially swimming in sea water and chlorine, may reduce the lifespan of your Great Lengths Hair Extensions.
- Prior to swimming, wet your hair completely to prevent chlorine and salt water sticking to your hair.
- Immediately after swimming, apply Great Lengths Anti-Tap Water remedy to eliminate damage from alkalinity in water and dry the scalp area as described above.